To read the cover letter as a pdf, click here.
April 13, 2016
Dear Parents and Community Members:
We are pleased to present you with the Annual Education Report (AER) which provides key information on the 2014-15 educational progress for Zeeland West High School. The AER addresses the complex reporting information required by federal and state laws. The school’s report contains information about student assessment, accountability, and teacher quality. If you have any questions about the AER, please contact Colleen Johnson, Zeeland West Principal, for assistance.
The AER is available for you to review electronically HERE or you may review a copy in the main office at your child’s school.
Increasing academic achievement among all students and the specific subgroups in our building continues to be our challenge. We have developed a Freshman Success program for students that focus on Math (Geometry) and English. These students are taught at a different pace and are also given an hour per day of support. We also offer tutoring and a Math Help Lab four days per week after school.
State law requires that we also report additional information:
- PROCESS FOR ASSIGNING PUPILS TO THE SCHOOL – The district has two high school and students are assigned by their geographical home location.
- THE STATUS OF THE 3-5 YEAR SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PLAN – Zeeland West High School in conjunction with Zeeland East High School continues to work on our School Improvement Plan focusing on aligning our assessments with the Common Core State Standards, using Inquiry and Project Based Learning and increasing proficiency in reading and writing.
- Our Core Curriculum is based on the Common Core State Standards and the Michigan Merit Curriculum. This information may be found at our school office or on the State website. Our educators regularly evaluate and revise our curriculum to ensure that classroom lessons meet the requirements.
- The charts below show data from the last 2 years:
Students Proficient on the MME (2014)/M-STEP(2015)
ACT Composite Score
ACT College Readiness Benchmarks
4 Year Graduation Rate
- 355 or 43% of our students are represented by parents at our parent teacher conferences.
- THE NUMBER AND PERCENT OF POST SECONDARY ENROLLMENTS (DUAL ENROLLMENT): 0
- THE NUMBER OF COLLEGE EQUIVALENT COURSES OFFERED (AP): 15
- THE NUMBER AND PERCENTAGE OF STUDENTS ENROLLED IN COLLEGE EQUIVALENT COURSES (AP): 264/32%
- THE NUMBER AND PERCENTAGE OF STUDENTS RECEIVING A SCORE LEADING TO COLLEGE CREDIT:146/55%
At Zeeland West High School, we are proud of our school and its students. We are also grateful to the parents and the community for their continued support. We believe we achieve our mission statement for our students to reach their highest level of academic achievement as measured by state and national standards, develop learning skills for their future endeavors and be active and positive participants in the school and community. We look forward to continue to make gains in the coming school years.
Principal, Zeeland West High School