To read the cover letter as a pdf, click here.
April 20, 2016
Dear Parents and Community Members:
We are pleased to present you with the Annual Education Report (AER) which provides key information on the 2014-15 educational progress for Zeeland East High School. The AER addresses the complex reporting information required by federal and state laws. The school’s report contains information about student assessment, accountability, and teacher quality. If you have any questions about the AER, please contact Marc Van Soest, ZEHS Principal, for assistance.
The AER is available for you to review electronically by visiting the following web site https://goo.gl/Q0v2XN or you may review a copy in the main office at your child’s school.
Our school continues to face significant challenges as we move forward. We are constantly focusing on raising our level of student achievement as we analyze the data from state assessments. This work most commonly manifests itself in an ongoing series of department level meetings that focus on curriculum review and construction. By partnering this with student achievement data from local, state and national assessments, we are continually evaluating our instructional practices to best meet the needs of our student body.
State law requires that we also report additional information:
- Students are assigned to Zeeland East High School according to the geographic boundaries of the elementary schools within the district. In the 2014 – 2015 school year, Lincoln, Adams and Woodbridge elementaries fed into Cityside Middle School, which in turn fed into Zeeland East. Please check with the Administrative Office if moving into the District to ensure you are aware of your student’s assigned school. Zeeland East also accepts a limited number of both in, and out of district school of choice students.
- In conjunction with our “partner across The Path, Zeeland West”, we are in the evaluation stage of the School Improvement Process, and are continuing to evaluate the pedagogical and curricular reforms which we have recently implemented.
- Zeeland East also houses Venture Academy, an alternative program designed to meet the needs of those students who have struggled in the traditional setting. The curriculum for this program is delivered predominately online, with support from certified instructors.
- The curriculum for each department is based upon the nationally recognized standards in each content area. While this differs for many subjects, the Common Core State Standards and the Michigan High School Content Expectations serve as the basis for the majority of our curriculum. As the new school year begins, we are continuing work on implementing standards based unit and lesson design throughout the curriculum.
The charts below show data from the last two years:
|Students Proficient on the MME (2014) and M-STEP (2015)|
|ACT Composite Score|
|ACT College Readiness Benchmarks|
|4 Year Graduation Rate|
- Roughly 43% of students were represented at Parent Teacher Conferences
- College Credit Opportunities:
- The number and percent of postsecondary enrollments (Dual Enrollment): 5
- The number of college equivalent courses offered (AP/IB): 15
- The number and percentage of students enrolled in college equivalent courses (AP/IB): 270 Students (27.5%)
- The number and percentage of students receiving a score leading to college credit: 196 Students (72.6%)
As is evident by reviewing our student achievement data, our students continue to perform well in the classroom. However, our students also continue to excel on their various fields of play, and in the art forms of their choice. We are exceptionally proud of each of their accomplishments, and of the education we provide for the students of our community. We believe that the experience provided to the students of Zeeland East, in partnership with Zeeland West and all of our combined feeder schools, is second to none in the area, and among the best opportunities for high school aged students in the State. As we approach educating our students in the coming school year, we look forward with a sense of optimism and enthusiasm that is built on the experiences and achievement of our past students within our community and among our alumni.
Marc A. Van Soest
Principal, Zeeland East